Monday, May 18, 2009

Our Vegetarian Baby

While we were at the beach we bought some organic baby food in jars which was a turning point for Morgan's meals. He absolutely loved the food! It made me wonder what the heck was I doing wrong with the homemade stuff?! I think it had to do with the texture at that point. Since then we have been buying jars of baby food but the organic vegetarian toddler stage food is very hard to find and there are only a couple kinds to choose from.

So, I started researching baby nutrition and vegetarian menus for babies. The resources are limited out there which is stressful and frustrating because it is important he gets the right vitamins and nutrients. I am feeling more confident now after much reading and sifting through conflicting information I feel that I CAN do this right. It's actually easier than I thought, I just need to relax.

He is now eating three meals a day plus his formula. In the morning he gets organic whole grain oatmeal with fruit mixed with formula and for lunch I just started him on soft tofu mashed with chunks of avocado which he really likes. Tonight I made some red lentils with carrots and celery and made some brown rice which I am going to mix with pumpkin and tofu. So, I am saying goodbye to the expensive jar food and back to cooking healthy organic meals. Basically, regardless of what some people think you can raise a very healthy vegetarian baby probably healthier than your average bear since they get a wider variety of vegetables, grains and proteins. This way of eating just takes a little more planning and thought and is healthier in the long run.

So far banana is his favorite food. Lately I have been cutting them into chunks and letting him pick them up or I should say attempt to pick up. When he manages to get a chunk he squishes it in his hand. He has tried a couple times to get it into his mouth but he misses. :(

In other news he had his 9 month check up and weighs 20 lbs.! It is about time we move onto a regular car seat and ditch the baby carrier it's just too heavy now.

I'll make a picture post soon.

No comments: